Monday, May 12, 2014

Life of Sudo – Day 001 – 16 colors is better than none

Hello blog readers! This is a blog of all my crazy tech adventures. I am constantly making unnecessary upgrades to ancient hardware and usually spending lots of time trying to fix them. If you have something crazy you want me to try on one of my old computers (as long as it doesn't break it!), feel free to drop a comment below.

Hey blog readers! we have a new Facebook page! Check it out at http://on.fb.me/U9s2Ld

They said it couldn't be done, and they were right. You cannot run Windows 8.1 on a Pentium III. So, I went with the next best thing, Windows 7! I finally got it to install on a 833 MHz PIII with 512 MB of RAM. I was surprised when it booted up in under 2 minutes. Not bad. Then I saw the login screen and just about had a heart attack. For some reason, Windows 7 didn't like the integrated Intel 810e graphics card, so it just decided to default to 16 color (read color, not bit) at 800 x 600 resolution. After going through the setup (and obviously skipping the activation, ‘cause nobody got time for that), I fired up IE8. Then I found out that I wasn't connected to the internet. Turns out that Windows couldn't get the driver for my Ethernet card. Problem was that it had to go online to get the driver for the card so it could connect to the internet. Stupid Windows. I stuck a Wi-Fi stick into the PC and got it online. Then the computer locked up. Should have known, Windows was trying to install about 183 updates. After letting it run all day, it finally restarted. Then I tried to go back to the problem with the graphics. I fired up IE8 again. Trying to expose myself to IE as little as possible, I immediately installed Firefox since Chrome is a little bit of a resource hog. After searching the Intel driver database, I found out that they just deleted the entire 810 driver database after Windows Vista was released because of the new WDDM driver framework. So much for that. I'll try Linux on one of my other computers tomorrow.


Hello blog readers! Be sure to drop a comment below to see if I should continue this series on my blog. And if you want me to do something crazy with one of my old computers, be sure to drop a comment below. Don’t forget to like, +1, and share this article! If you have a tech company or product that you want me to review or mention here on this blog, visit http://www.fiverr.com/armmaster17. Have Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment