After closely examining the FCC rules, EMPs are completely illegal in the US and all of its territories. According to the rules, EMPs are legal if used under one of two conditions.
1.You are a government official who is authorized by the FCC to conduct tests with an EMP.
2.You are licensed to use an EMP (or any radio equipment) in a shielded room or a Faraday cage.
If you use this in america or one of its territories, you can be subject to fines of at least $100,000 and imprisonment for at least a year. Americans, you are responsible for anything you do with this knowledge For anyone in another country, PLEASE read your local regulations before attempting to build an EMP.
What is an EMP? It's a device where once it's sent into space, thousands of volts will be sent to the electromagnet. Then it will concentrate its power on one spot on the map, blacking out the city and destroying any metallic or electronic devices. All without humans even noticing. Still want to do it? We can't go as serious as the description (I think that's illegal by both the FAA and the FCC), but we can build one that's legal (mostly), cheap, and works up 15 ft.
Disclaimer: I the author of this post assume NO responsibility for any damage done to your property. In addition, what you are building will become illegal if you use it outside your own property. Use wisely!!!!!!
Let's get started. For this project, you will need:
2 tact switches
lots of wire
1 9V battery
Let's build it!
1. Attach the two tact switches to the two leads on the capacitor.
2. Wrap 1 Yard/Meter of wire around a tube like a PVC pipe.
3. Attach one end of the coil you made in step two to the tact switch attached to the long lead of the capacitor. (make sure to use a long wire to attach it!)
4. Connect the other long wire to the other end of the coil.
Now we can test it!
1. connect the 9V battery to the two wires not connected to anything. Make sure the positive side of the battery is connected to the tact switch and the negative side is connected to the coil.
2.Hold down the tact switch connecting the 9V to the capacitor for 15 seconds. You may need to experiment to find the right timing. (If you don't know how to calculate the time, just do 15 seconds).
3. Let go of the switch and put a cheap electronic device inside or next to the coil. Make sure you don't have any electronics on you before you move on to step 4.
4. Hold down the tact switch connecting the capacitor to the coil for 4 seconds.
5. Go see if your test subject still works. If it doesn't, your EMP works!
Check out our SpreadShirt shop for our awesome selection of geeky apparel. We offer Mens, Womens, and kid sizes of T-shirts, Long-sleeve shirts, and hoodies in addition to coffee mugs and more. Check out our store here: http://allstuffnerdy.spreadshirt.com